Monday, May 3, 2010

Natural Hair

There are a lot of ways you can "go natural" with hair care products. You can spend a small fortune on pre-made products that still contain the occasional questionable ingredient....or, you can make your own. These are two easy recipes I use often for my family's needs.

"Shampoo"
For this I combine 1 cup of liquid castile soap to 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. I usually mix all the ingredients into a spray bottle for easy application, but you can really do this into any container that takes your fancy. I have not really gotten into making my own castile soap (yet!) but there are some really great recipes here: Castile soap recipes if you would like to try and do so.

"Hair rinse/detangler"
For this I infuse an herb or two, usually rosemary or horsetail, in apple cider vinegar.


I usually make this at a ratio of 1 cup to one quart. So in this instance I have 1/2 a cup of rosemary and 1/2 quart apple cider vinegar. I let sit at least over night and strain the next morning. Then I add 1 part water to to my 1 part vinegar infusion (in this case 1/2 quart of each) and I have my hair rinse. I also keep this in a spray bottle for easy application.

I have also recently stumbled upon this list of recipes that looked really good so I thought I would pass them on. Long Locks hair care recipes
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment